Right now, both Republicans and Democrats are pushing for an in-person return to school to restore “business as usual” without effective protections for children, school staff, or parents. Join us August 3rd to demand safe schools for workers, kids, and families!
You and I know a premature return to school won’t save our economy — nothing will short of a people’s bailout, utilities, rent, mortgage, and school debt cancellation, extended unemployment benefits, and Medicare for All!
The August 3rd Demand Safe Schools Day of Action is endorsed by DSA and launched by our allies in the United Teachers of Los Angeles (UTLA), the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU), among an ever growing list of other teachers unions and community organizations. Pledge here for August 3rd and additional DSA actions for safe schools going forward!
The push to reopen schools is an act of political violence. We demand NO reopening until the scientific and public health data supports it, and we demand COVID-19 economic support for working class parents. Finally, no school is safe until all schools are cop-free.
For months, capitalists have rained violence on the working class, bailing out corporations, giving us crumbs to survive a pandemic, and unleashing brutal police forces on protesters. It’s time to strike back until our demands are met:
- No reopening until the scientific data supports it
- Police-free schools
- All schools must be supported to function as community schools with adequate numbers of counselors and nurses and community/parent outreach workers
- Safe conditions including lower class sizes, PPE, cleaning, testing, and other key protocols
- Support for our communities and families, including canceling rents and mortgages, a moratorium on evictions/foreclosures, providing direct cash assistance to those not able to work or who are unemployed, and other critical social needs
- Moratorium on new charter or voucher programs and standardized testing
- Massive infusion of federal money to support the reopening funded by taxing billionaires and Wall Street
- Equitable access to online learning
In the face of rising COVID-19 cases in multiple states and the worst economic quarter in US history, financial support for working class parents so they don’t have to send their kids to unsafe schools, protections for school workers, and safe schools for teachers and kids are more vital than ever. Join us August 3rd to demand safe schools in communities across the country!
DSA National Director