Today, May 1st, we will stand in solidarity with all workers and demand that their basic needs be met.
Our Wisconsin Revolution (4/28/20)
In keeping with social distancing protocol, we will not physically congregate. Instead, we will meet at the Madison Labor Temple, assemble a vehicle caravan, and drive around the Capitol to make sure our leaders hear our demands:
1) Emergency relief funds for working people, including undocumented workers
2) BadgerCare for all
3) Hazard Pay & PPE for all essential workers
4) Minimum 2-month freeze on the payment of rent, residential mortgages, and utility bills (including sanitation, power, water, gas, & internet services) to allow working families to do what is necessary to prepare for the difficult social measures required to flatten the outbreak curve
Here is what we are asking you to do (RSVP HERE)
- Today @ 1pm, sharp: Nationwide social media blitz — create a post or tweet and include the following hashtags: #WIMayday #CoronaStrike #GeneralStrike2020 #RentStrike2020 (or #CancelRent). Feel free to use this template: “Join the #Mayday 2020 #PeoplesStrike in response to the #COVID19 crisis! We demand people-centered solutions. Sacrifice no one for landlords or the rich! Join us in #Madison! tinyurl.com/WIMayday #WIMayday #CoronaStrike #GeneralStrike2020 #RentStrike2020″ (or #CancelRent)
- Friday, May 1st: Meet at Madison Labor Temple at noon and 1) wear red and 2) write a shortened version of the above demands and place them on your vehicles (you can use poster board, window markers, etc.).
- Anytime before Friday: Please sign this petition & join the Wisconsin Rent Strike 2020 Facebook group
In solidarity and health,
Ashley | OWR Southwest Regional Organizer